Friday, October 7, 2011

Shrill Screaming Shriek

Last evening a salamander/geiko was spotted on the side walk at the steps to our front door. We all came outside to have a look. Not wanting this thing to ever get in our house, we got an ice cream pail and cut a little hole in the lid so it could breath. Davis knew of someone who might want it for a pet, so we needed to keep this thing until he could get a hold of him. I declared it was not coming into the house.

Lehman decided to help keep it warm we needed to add some leaves for the little guy. I gingerly opened the lid as he dumped in a handful of leaves. As went to replace the lid, the critter started walking up the side. I screamed and jumped back as did all of the kids and a did a 'dance' while squeeling. We did get the lid back on. Ewwww! I hate those things!

This morning the kids were laughing about me screaming and I said, "I know, I am usually very self controlled but not when it comes to lizards." Lehman said, "But Mom, it was so funny. It wasn't a scream. It was a shrill shriek of pure terror." Jillaine said, "It's the first time in my life, I've ever heard you do that. Man, I've missed out on so much fun in my childhood. How could we have lived this long and never heard you scream?" I assured them it has happened before. And, thank you very much, I am happy to have only a few of these isolated incidents.
And for the record, Gerard, as he was affectionately named (after Gerard Butler, if you're wondering), is still on the front porch until he gets picked up.

6 comments:

Lauryn said...

LOL...I know the scream:-) I remember it once when we woke you up from a nap by dangling a chipmunk in an onion bag above your head. A chipmunk that we had taken hours to catch - and were promptly told to get it out of the house! Lol...talk about robbing us of our joy!:-P

Darla said...

The chipmunk!!! GET IT OOOOUUTTT! Lol. We were like, Mom, seriously. Not a big deal. Looking back, I would have done the same, haha! That lizard is disgusting and even grosser than the one in my yard in May/June. You should probably move. That is what I would do:-D

Darla said...

PS: It's almost a crime to name something that ugly after Gerard Butler. Just sayin'. :-)

Beccy - MomK said...

I am not afraid of chipmunks - it was the startle relex on that one. But lizards are fear and hate. The other time I know I really screamed was when I thought I killed Reba. LOL

Lauryn said...

LOL...I think anyone would scream if they were woken up with a rodent dangling above their head! and yes Reba...LOL now THAT was a scream!

Darla said...

Reba...I think that was also the first time I really heard you call Dad David instead of Dave. DAVID!! Between the screaming and the crying we didn't know what on earth happened to the poor thing. lol. Kenna can do the "screaming dance" pretty well herself. Janessa has been a witness. She must get it from you, Mom. :-)