Thursday, February 21, 2013

Birth Announcement #4

When I was 20 weeks pregnant I took a bad fall while taking care of a neighbour's dog. I was so worried about the baby and was relieved to hear the heartbeat and know that all was well. I did have, however, incredible back pain and leg pain. Physio and chiropractic care just made my symptoms worse, so I was put on bed rest to wait out the pregnancy. The thrill of new life was a delight to Dave and I as we traveled through those dark days. A sign of God's hope!

Darla prayed for a baby sister, talked about her all the time and there was no convincing her that God might be creating another brother. When Lauryn was born she said, "Yeah, I knew it was a girl."

I laid on my left side with the typewriter on a piece of plywood set on the mattress to type these birth announcements. Head on the pillow, I reached over with my right hand and typed one letter at a time. Needless to say I only typed 10 announcements and it bothered me that I couldn't give out a multitude of announcements in honour of our new baby girl.




Lauryn was God's gift to us. We had prayed about God's will before she was even conceived. We rejoiced in her life while others criticized us for having four children. We learned about suffering and God's grace in a new way. We learned how to live in a new normal with a nanny while waiting for back surgery. Living life with four kids was a great time of life!

Her middle name was chosen for its meaning 'worthy of love'. The blessing of having a baby in the house helped time pass as we waited out the diagnosis and prognosis of my back injury. She grew and changed every day and the smiles brought joy to our home.

Lauryn was determined to keep up with her three older siblings and there was no holding her back. She was a real tomboy and had the uncanny skill of choosing the oddest of outfits. This is something that definitely doesn't characterize her anymore! :) She had a passionate love of dogs and other critters.

She had the cutest little British accent as a pre-schooler, loved to root around in her drawers and give gifts, and had the ability to get the last word in edgewise. We thought she'd become a lawyer. ;) Instead she was an amazing receptionist and administrator.

With Lauryn now married, the mother of three children and the only one still living in our home province, we are blessed to know that she too serves God. He has been good to us!


 

No comments: