Saturday, August 9, 2014

In Honour

Just a couple of days before I left for Ontario, our nephew Chris Burkholder, sent a group email entitled "my Lois Mary" including a picture of a daylily. Pretty soon several emails came in with pictures of their "Lois Mary". I just had to ask!

It was discovered that when Dave's sister, Lois, passed away, the Burkholder sister-in-laws paid to have a daylily named and registered in honour of her and her love of gardening. Since 2006 it has grown and and split so that the siblings, children, nieces and nephews all have her lily in their gardens. 

I mentioned that I was coming to Ontario and would there be any way I could have a slip. Lois' sister-in-law on the Burkholder side, Sylvia was willing to share if there was any way we could come to the KW area. I responded that that is where I was going to be for the first half of my trip!

My Dad and I drove out to New Hamburg and had a lovely visit. Sylvia shared enough that Darla was able to take some root back to Virginia too. And now it is growing in my flower bed in Regina to my delight and honour. In a couple of years it will be growing in Alberta too!

"Lois Mary Exquisite"
For Your Reference:
Registration information:

No comments: